Immigration Law Attorney, DeLand, Florida

Helping immigrants throughout Volusia County, including DeLand, Daytona Beach, Deltona, Orange City and DeBary.

At the Law Office of Leanna J. Smith we are experienced in immigration law and have immigration law attorneys that can help you with obtaining U.S. citizenship or help you work through family-based immigration issues.

Obtaining U.S. Citizenship

In the United States you may become a U.S. citizen at birth, or after birth, if you meet certain requirements.

To become a citizen at birth, you must:

To become a citizen after birth, you must:

Some of the benefits of becoming a Citizen include:

You may file for naturalization if your eligibility is based on the following:

In addition to these, you must also meet the following requirements:

For more information about becoming a U.S. Citizen please call our office at 386-943-9797 for a free consultation and to further discuss your case.

Family-Based Immigration

Family-based immigration is the process of applying for permanent residency or green card through a spouse or other family member. Each applicant must be fingerprinted, submit photographs, go through a background check, submit supporting documentation to include a medical examination by a certified USCIS approved physician and have a qualified financial sponsor.  

U.S. citizens may sponsor:

Lawful Permanent Residents may sponsor:

Family based immigration does not extend to family members such as grandparents, aunts, uncles, or cousins. It is limited to immediate relatives.

The individual obtaining the immigrant visa is called the principal beneficiary. Those individuals immigrating with the principal beneficiary are called derivative beneficiaries. If the principal beneficiary is an immediate relative, then there are no derivative beneficiaries. Each intending immigrant requires his or her own petition. Preference category principals may immigrate their spouses and children as derivative beneficiaries on the same petition.

A spouse of a United States citizen or permanent resident may apply for permanent resident status (a green card) and obtain a work permit within the United States ONLY if:

If neither of these are the case, then the spouse must leave the United States to follow the process of Consular Processing.

If the couple is not yet married, a U.S. citizen may apply for a K-1 visa in order to bring his or her fiancée to the United States in order to get married. Once the couple is married, the immigrant relative can then apply for permanent resident status. In order to obtain a fiancé(e) visa, the couple must prove:

If you live in Volusia County, including Daytona Beach, DeLand, Deltona, DeBary and Orange City, and are in need of an Immigration Attorney to help you with U.S. Citizenship or to help you with Family-Based Immigration call our office at 386-943-9797.  Free consultations are available!  Asistimos a los clientes de habla hispana!